Friday, February 22, 2008

What Would You Do?

In this world where information is readily available, do you ever find yourself worried that the Internet is not as anonymous as it used to be? And what would you do if someone in your family accidentally or on purpose gained access to your private spanking pictures, stories, blogs etc or otherwise found out your "dirty little secret"?
When I first got active in the scene I had vanilla family living with me and I was mortified at the mere thought that someone might find out that I was into spanking. It got so that I was downright paranoid about it. I made sure my computer and all my files were password protected. Absolutely no one but me had my passwords. When I would leave for the weekend for a spanking party, I took the power cord to my computer just in case my brother (who is someone of a computer geek) somehow guessed my passwords and gained access to my "other world".
Well, after a few years, I let my guard down a bit and the inevitable happened. My vanilla roommate, searching for a popular job search site in my city, found the local spanking group I belonged to along with the site she was looking for. And, of course, right there on the welcome page is a big picture of yours truly (taken a few years ago) bent over with her bare bottom freshly spanked. I was surprised at my reaction. A few short years ago, I would have been absolutely mortified at this. But when it actually happened I found I was more angry that my roommate had used my computer without my permission. To my surprise, I found myself calmly explaining what she came to call my "hobby" and how I met people and played with them; both at parties and privately. To my surprise, she seemed cool with this and even expressed curiosity to the point of wanting to view one of my spanking DVD's. I don't think she has ever told anyone what she found on my computer.
So the question is: how would you handle this situation? I suppose for most people, like me, it depends on who finds out. For me, it was my roommate; a younger woman who was not totally turned off by the idea. If it had been a member of my family, I suppose I would just have to say,"This is my personal, private business. It doesn't concern you and I have no desire to discuss it with you. I'm still your sister just like I was before you found this out. I haven't changed."
My parents have both passed away and I'm not sure what they would have thought. I am not so sure my father and mother didn't participate in the same "hobby" I do; one that another sister, a nephew and a niece of mine also share. I wonder how my vanilla brother would take it if he found out his daughter owned a book like "Beauty's Punishment"? That is how I found out my then 19-year old niece was at least interested. That book is a particularly well-written bit of spanking erotica and she just left it laying around for anyone to find, like it was a Stephen King novel or something.
I have never really discussed this with her because I don't know if she ever got passed the curious stage or if this is something she also has in her life. I choose, at this time, to respect her privacy. Of course, I guarded my secret with my life. I didn't leave my copy of "The Compleat Spanker" laying around like it was a coffee table book.
Some people simply don't care who finds out about their private life. Others, like me, are guarded about who they confide in. Still others would die if anyone ever found out. They feel like no one would understand them or that they would somehow no longer be the person they were in the eyes of those who knew.
I am at the point where I don't shout it from the roof tops but I am not embarrassed or ashamed of it either. If my co-worker can have a miniature paddle hanging from his rear view mirror that says "Bad Girl" on it, I can have my key ring that says "Spank me" on it. Hey, to me that's a great combination! :)

1 comment: